Why Is Telluride Worth Visiting?
Telluride is a small mountain town in Colorado where the views are incredible, with breathtaking vistas of mountains and valleys. Picturesque buildings line steep narrow streets and gondola rides soar over the town. It’s not just for snowboarders and skiers! Before we get into all the things to do in Telluride, let’s learn a bit about its history.
The town of Telluride was established in 1878, after gold was discovered in the region. It quickly became a bustling mining town, named for the gold telluride minerals that had been found in other parts of Colorado. The area was discovered to be rich in silver, copper and zinc among other metals, fostering the slow but steady development of the town.
These days, the town is better known for its outdoor recreation and scenic beauty. It sits in a box canyon, surrounded by mountains on three sides. The San Miguel River runs through the center of town.
Telluride Ski Resort is a popular destination for mountain biking, hiking, skiing, snowboarding, and more. There’s plenty of cultural interest in the area as well. So, without further ado, let’s jump in and explore all the things to do in Telluride!
Things to Do in Telluride During the Summer – on the River and Beyond
Many people think of winter sports when they hear Telluride, but the town is actually a great summer destination, too. The San Miguel River is one of the things that makes it so special. Visitors can enjoy:
- whitewater rafting;
- fly fishing in the river.
With mild temperatures and sunny days, it’s a perfect place to enjoy the great outdoors. There are also plenty of trails for hiking and mountain biking. If you’re down for a longer hike, we recommend seeing Bridal Veil Falls or Bear Creek Falls.
Horseback riding is another popular activity in the summer. For those who want to take things a bit easier, free gondola rides are available to enjoy the views without all the exertion.
In addition to all these outdoor activities, there are also several festivals and events that take place in the summer.
- The Telluride Bluegrass Festival draws music lovers from all over the world.
- The Telluride Film Festival showcases independent films during Labor Day weekend.
- The Telluride Mushroom Festival features cooking demonstrations, tastings, and more.
Be sure to look up the dates for these events when you’re planning your trip. They might be worth changing your plans a little!
Things to Do in Telluride During the Fall – Hiking and More
As the leaves start to change color, the town becomes even more beautiful. The fall is a great time to visit and enjoy all the things to do in Telluride, from hiking and leaf peeping to shopping and dining.
The cooler temperatures make it ideal for hiking and enjoying the many trails in the area. The leaves changing color is an added bonus! And the gondola is still operating during the fall, providing stunning views of the foliage.
There’s also the Telluride Horror Show, a film festival that takes place in October. If you’re a fan of horror movies, this is definitely the event for you.
Finally, don’t forget to enjoy the local food and drink scene. Telluride has several great restaurants and bars, serving everything from comfort food to gourmet fare. And of course, there are plenty of places to get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate to warm up after a day spent outdoors.
Winter Activities in Telluride – Skiing, Snowboarding and More
Of course, winter is the main season in this mountain town. That’s when it comes alive with skiers and snowboarders from all over the world. And there are plenty of other things to do in Telluride when the snow starts to fall, too.
The Telluride Ski Resort is one of the best in the country, offering world-class skiing and snowboarding. In addition, visitors can enjoy:
- dog sledding;
- ice skating;
There are also several winter festivals, including the Telluride Gay Ski Week and the Telluride Fire Festival. And of course, the gondola is still providing breathtaking views of the snow-capped mountains. So, whether you’re a winter sports enthusiast or just looking to enjoy the beauty of the season, Telluride is the perfect place to be.
Tourist Attractions in Downtown Telluride – A Historic Mining Town
Telluride may be best known for its outdoor activities and scenic mountain views, but there’s also plenty to see and do in the town itself. Downtown Telluride is full of historic buildings, shops, and restaurants. Be sure to explore:
- Telluride Historical Museum – learn about the town’s history at this museum, which is housed in a former hospital;
- Telluride Free Box – a “free store” where you can take things you need and leave things you don’t;
- Telluride Gallery of Fine Art – a great place to see artwork by local and regional artists;
- Telluride Theater – a theater that hosts live music, comedy, and more;
- Michael D. Palm Theatre – another historic theater that offers a variety of entertainment;
- Mountain Gate Teahouse and Art Gallery – a cozy teahouse with a great selection of tea and local art.
There’s also the Town Park, which is a great place to relax or have a picnic. In the winter, children enjoy sledding down the hill. And of course, no visit to Telluride would be complete without taking a ride on the gondola! The views from the top are simply breathtaking.
If you have some time left, it’s worth hiking up the Jud Wiebe Memorial Trail and taking in the views of the town, waterfalls, and other scenic spots you’ll encounter on the way.
Things to Do in Mountain Village, Just Southwest of Telluride
Mountain Village is a smaller community just southwest of Telluride. There are 8 plazas in the village, and you can arrive at one of them via a gondola from Telluride.
There isn’t much to do there besides hiking and staying in one of the many hotels, but the buildings are worth checking out. The architecture is a mix of Swiss and Victorian styles, and the views are simply stunning.
Enjoy Your Trip to Telluride, Whenever It Takes Place!
No matter what time of year you visit, there’s no shortage of things to do in Telluride. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or simply want to enjoy the scenic mountain views, this town has it all.
Have you ever visited Telluride? Tell us about your trip in the comments below!
- Things to Do in Park City, Utah. From Winter Activities in Ski Resorts to Park City in the Summer
- Best Things To Do In Aspen Colorado: Top Tourist Attractions And Interesting Things To See
- Things to Do in Stowe, VT, From Downtown Stowe to Winter Activities and Tourist Attractions in Vermont
- Best And Fun Things To Do In Breckenridge Colorado, A Ski Resort For Winter Activities Lovers
- Are You Looking for Things to Do in Steamboat Springs? We Have You Covered with Top Ski & Summer Activities
- Things To Do In Ruidoso, New Mexico: Best Tourist Attractions In Ruidoso Area
- Things to Do in Big Sky, Montana – Skiing and Other Winter Activities to Try on Your Trip to Big Sky
- The Best Things To Do In Bangor, Maine. Top Attractions Listed for Those of You Going to Bangor Maine