If you’re heading to Bangor, Maine, you’re in for a treat. While it’s much smaller than its coastal counterparts, the city is steeped in history and beauty. It’s also home to a number of annual events, including the Bangor State Fair, American Folk Festival and Blues Festival.
Outdoorsy Things to Do in Bangor, Maine
Bangor is a city that’s always surprising. Its history is rich, and its culture even more so. The city boasts a thriving arts scene and a number of attractions for outdoorsy people of all ages. Here are some of the best things to do in Bangor, Maine outdoors, with some travel tips to make your visit even easier.
Walk Along the Kenduskeag Stream Trail
The Kenduskeag Stream Trail is a beautiful walk along the waterway that flows through the city of Bangor. The stream trail is a few miles long, but most visitors opt for a shorter walk and enjoy it all year round. During the summer, it’s lined with flowers; while in the winter months, snow covers the landscape, creating a beautiful backdrop for photos and fun activities. You can also see wildlife on your walk around the Kenduskeag Stream Trail.
Visit Peirce Park
Peirce Park is located in downtown Bangor on Main Street. It has something for everyone. From tennis courts to playgrounds and an amphitheater. It’s also home to some great annual events in Bangor such as the American Folk Festival and Waterfront Concerts. If you’re looking for things to do in Bangor, Maine with kids, this is one of the spots to head to.
Bangor City Forest
One of our favorite things about Bangor is its abundance of public trails and parks. If you’re looking for a way to get active while also enjoying the landscape, you can’t go wrong with Bangor’s City Forest! The trails are incredibly well-marked and maintained, so it’s easy to navigate even if you’re not familiar with the area. We love the South Ridge Trail, as it takes you all the way to the top of South Mountain, where you can enjoy panoramic views of downtown Bangor, the Penobscot River, and Acadia National Park in the distance.
On your way back down from the mountain, you’ll also pass through an old apple orchard. Many of these trees have been there for generations, but despite their age, they still produce delicious fruit each year! If you visit during harvest season, make sure to sample some. Our only warning would be that with so many trees in one place it can get quite buggy, so come prepared!
- Things to Do in Bar Harbor, Maine. From Acadia National Park to Downtown Bar Harbor – Full List of Attractions
- Things to Do in Ogunquit, Maine: Attractions to Explore in the “Beautiful Place by the Sea”
- Awesome Things to Do in Kennebunkport, Maine! Top Tourist Attractions
- Joplin: The Ultimate City Guide. Top Attractions, Tourist Tips and Things to Do in Joplin Mo
- Heading to Cali? Make Sure You Go through Joshua Tree National Park. Best Things to Do in Joshua Tree, Hiking & Fun
- Visit Plymouth! Top Attractions and Things to Do in Plymouth, MA. Watch the Whales and Learn About the Plymouth Colony
- Things to Do in Ojai: A Guide to Ojai Attractions for the Perfect Weekend Getaway
- Top Things To Do In Illinois – Tourist Attractions And Places To Visit And Things To See