We all know that Traverse City is a hot spot for tourists in northern Michigan, in the Great Lakes area. But what about the locals? What are the best attractions in Traverse City if you’re not just visiting for the Cherry Festival or some other special event? Here are our top favorite things to do in Traverse City, whether you’re a local or a tourist.
Things to Do in Traverse City: Visit the Grand Traverse Lighthouse
If you’re looking for unique things to do in Traverse City, consider visiting the Grand Traverse Lighthouse. Located on the shores of Lake Michigan, the lighthouse offers stunning views of the lake and surrounding area. Visitors can also tour the lighthouse and learn about its history. Be sure to check out the gift shop, which offers a variety of souvenirs and gifts.
Don’t miss a visit to the Mission Point Lighthouse. It is another popular lighthouse in the area, and it’s easy to see why. The views from the top of the lighthouse are simply breathtaking, and it’s a great place to get a birds-eye view of the city. The lighthouse is also a great place to learn about the area’s history and culture.
Go for Wine Tasting at one of Traverse City’s Many Wineries
Looking for a fun and unique way to spend an afternoon or evening in Traverse City? Why not go to a tasting room at one of the area’s many wineries? There are plenty of options to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that fits your taste. All of these wineries offer beautiful surroundings, as well as a wide variety of wines to taste. If you’re looking for something a little more adventurous, consider heading to the Leelanau Peninsula. This area is known for its many small, family-owned vineyards.
Spend a Day at the Beach on Lake Michigan
Traverse City is a beautiful place to spend a day at the beach. The scenery is breathtaking, and the people are friendly and welcoming. Traverse City has many different beaches to select from, so you can find the perfect one for your needs. The lake is a great place to swim, sunbathe, or just relax and take in the views. If you’re looking for a fun day out, Traverse City is definitely the place to be!
Go for a Hike in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
If you’re looking for an outdoor adventure, consider going for a hike in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. One of the best things about hiking in there is that there are trails for all levels of hikers. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced hiker, you’ll be able to find a trail that’s perfect for you. In addition, the views from the trails are amazing, with Lake Michigan and the surrounding forests providing a beautiful backdrop. You can also find here many kayak rentals.
Attend a National Cherry Festival or Other Annual Event
In addition to its many natural attractions, Traverse City is also home to a number of annual events that are definitely worth checking out. Perhaps the most famous of these is the National Cherry Festival, which takes place every July and celebrates the area’s bountiful cherry harvest.
Other popular annual events include the Traverse City Winter Comedy Arts Festival, the Traverse City Film Festival, and the Traverse City Beer Week. So if you’re looking for something fun to do during your stay in Traverse City, be sure to check out one of these events!
Take a Scenic Drive on the Leelanau Peninsula Byway
The Leelanau Peninsula Scenic Byway is one of the most beautiful drives in all of Michigan. The byway winds its way along the peninsula, offering stunning views of the lake and the surrounding countryside. Along the way, there are plenty of places to stop and explore. Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Traverse City State Park – it is a great place to go for a hike or a picnic. The park offers beautiful views of the lake and the surrounding hills, and there are plenty of trails to choose from.
- Old Mission Peninsula – it is home to some of the most picturesque villages in Michigan. There are several wineries on the peninsula, as well as a few charming bed and breakfasts.
- Northport Pier – it is a great place to go for a walk or to fish. The pier offers stunning views of the harbor and the surrounding countryside.
Go Fishing on Grand Traverse Bay
If you’re looking for a great outdoor activity to enjoy in Traverse City, go fishing on Grand Traverse Bay. There are plenty of places to cast your line, and the scenery is simply beautiful. You might even catch a glimpse of one of the area’s famous bald eagles!
Check Out the Galleries and Shops in Downtown Traverse City
Downtown Traverse City is full of boutiques, galleries and shops, perfect for when you need a break from the beach or hiking trails. If you’re looking for something special to take home with you, there are plenty of shops to explore, too.
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Traverse City, be sure to visit the Village at Grand Traverse Commons. This fun and eclectic spot is home to a variety of shops, restaurants, and art galleries. It’s the perfect place to spend a day or evening out with friends or family. And if you’re lucky, you might even catch a live performance by one of the many local musicians who often play here.
Other Fun Things to Do in Traverse City
There are many things to do in Traverse City. Here are some other ideas:
- One of our favorite places to go is Clinch Park. It’s a beautiful park on the water with a playground, walking trails, and a pier. You can also find a farmer’s market there during summer.
- Be sure to check out the Maritime Museum. There, you can visit the tall ship, which is a replica of a 19th century sailing vessel. The ship is open for tours throughout the summer.
- The Traverse City State Hospital is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Traverse City. It is home to many historical and interesting buildings, including the old asylum building which is now a museum.
- The city has a long tradition of brewing beer, and its breweries offer a wide variety of styles to suit any taste.
- If you’re looking for things to do in Traverse City, look no further than the Traverse Area Recreation Trail. TART trails offer something for everyone, whether you’re looking to hike, bike, run, or just enjoy the scenery.
- If you’re looking for a great place to get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors, Boardman Lake Trail is the perfect spot. If offers stunning views of the lake, as well as plenty of opportunities to get your heart rate up.
- Be sure to check out Front Street! This vibrant district is packed with shops, restaurants and bars, making it the perfect place to spend an afternoon or evening.
- The Best Things to Do in South Haven, MI. Beach Vibe and Fun Times in South Haven, Michigan
- Things to Do in Door County, WI – Enjoy a Getaway of Biking, Fish Boils and Other Summer or Winter Activities
- Best Things to Do in New Buffalo Michigan: Top Tips for Tourists and Activities. Your Travel Guide to New Buffalo MI
- Top Things to Do in Holland MI: Discover the Dutch Village’s Hidden Gems
- Things to Do in Grand Rapids, Michigan That You Haven’t Been Told About. The Best Attractions in Grand Rapids, MI
- Things to Do in Marquette MI: A Bucket List. The Ultimate Guide to Attractions & Experiences in Marquette Michigan
- Things to Do in Ann Arbor, MI. Tourist Attractions, Ann Arbor with Kids, and More
- Things to Do in Sandusky Ohio: A Guide to the Area’s Best Tourist Attractions, from Lake Erie to Cedar Point