Towns and cities located in Door County include Baileys Harbor, Egg Harbor, Ephraim, Sister Bay, and Sturgeon Bay among others. Let’s go through all the exciting attractions and things to do in Door County.
Things to Do in Door County – Water Activities
Door County is a paradise for water lovers. With over 300 miles of coastline, there are countless opportunities for swimming, boating, fishing and more. The area is also home to five state parks, each with its own unique offerings.
For the adventurous types, Door County Kayak Tours offer tours of the bay and surrounding islands. You can see the less traveled shores of Door Bluff Country Park, or visit shipwrecks and ancient pictographs. Prices start at $60 per person.
There are also several boat tours available, including those offered by Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours. Enjoy some live music on deck and admire views of Peninsula State Park!
Things to Do in Door County – Hiking, Biking and More
With over 300 miles of coastline, Door County is a nature lover’s paradise. The area is home to five state parks, each with its own unique offerings. Let’s go through them and see what are some things to do in Door County for active travelers.
Peninsula State Park
Peninsula State Park is a must-visit for any nature lover. With 20 miles of hiking trails, the park is perfect for a day hike or a longer camping trip. The park also offers an 18-hole golf course, lighthouse tours and a summer theater. Some activities you can do there include:
- boating, canoeing and kayaking,
- hunting and trapping.
Newport State Park
If you’re looking for a more challenging hike, head to Newport State Park. With over 30 miles of hiking trails, the park is a perfect place to burn off some energy. Lose yourself in the 2,300 acres of forests and camp under the starry sky. Things to do in this state park include:
- hunting and trapping,
- night sky viewing.
Potawatomi State Park
For a truly unique experience, head to Potawatomi State Park. The park is home to an observation tower that offers stunning views of the bay. You can also explore the park’s caves, go fishing or take a scenic drive. Things to do at Potawatomi State Park include:
- boating, canoeing and kayaking,
- winter activities (cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling and ice fishing).
Whitefish Dunes State Park
Whitefish Dunes State Park is perfect for a day of relaxation. With over six miles of coastline, the park has plenty of beaches to enjoy. You can also go hiking, skiing or take a scenic drive through the park. Some things to do at Whitefish Dunes State Park include:
- hunting and trapping,
Rock Island State Park
Rock Island State Park (north of Washington Island) is perfect for a day trip or a longer camping trip. With over 6 miles of shoreline, the park has no shortage of tranquil beaches. Vehicles aren’t allowed, and you’ll need to take a ferry ride to the island. Some things to do at Rock Island State Park include:
- canoeing and kayaking,
- lighthouse tours.
Other Places to Go in Door County for Nature Lovers
If the five state parks haven’t satisfied your nature fix, don’t worry – there are plenty of other places to explore.
The Ridges Sanctuary is a great place to go for a hike and watch birds. It’s home to the Cook-Albert Fuller Nature Center, where you can learn about the area’s plants and animals.
For a truly unique experience, head to the Cave Point County Park. The park is home to five miles of shoreline and several caves. Divers, photographers and hikers love coming back to this place.
Places to Visit in Door County, WI – Museums and Historical Sites
What are some things to do in Door County for history buffs? The county is home to several museums and historical sites. If you’re looking to learn more about the area’s history and culture, be sure to add these places to your list!
The Door County Historical Museum
The Door County Historical Museum is a great place to learn about the county’s history. The museum has several exhibits on the area’s Native American history, the lumber industry and shipwrecks. You can also see a replica of a one-room schoolhouse and a log cabin.
The Door County Maritime Museum
The Door County Maritime Museum is a must-visit for any history lover. The museum has three locations in Sturgeon Bay, Gills Rock and Cana Island. The museum chronicles the maritime history of Door County and the Great Lakes.
The Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Lighthouse
The Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal North Pierhead Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse located in Sturgeon Bay. The light was built in 1882 and is open to the public for tours.
The Cana Island Lighthouse
The Cana Island Lighthouse is another old lighthouse, located on Cana Island. The light was built in 1869 and has been opened to the public since the 1970s for tours organized by the Door County Maritime Museum.
The Eagle Bluff Lighthouse
The Eagle Bluff Lighthouse is a historic lighthouse located in Peninsula State Park. The light was built in 1868 and is open to the public for tours – its original furnishings and authentic period antiques are something you must see.
Places to Visit in Door County – Art Galleries
Door County is home to several art galleries. If you’re looking for a place to find some unique souvenirs or just admire some beautiful artwork, be sure to add these places to your list!
- The Hardy Gallery is one of the oldest and most respected art galleries in Door County. The gallery represents over 100 artists, both local and nationally known.
- The Miller Art Museum is a great place to see some of the best artwork in Door County. The museum has three galleries, which feature rotating exhibitions of contemporary art.
- Located south from Door County, the Rahr-West Art Museum is another great option for art lovers. The museum has a collection of 19th and 20th century American art, as well as a selection of contemporary art.
Time to Visit Door County and Have Some Fun
If you’re looking for things to do in Door County, Wisconsin, you won’t be disappointed. From water activities and hiking to biking and art galleries, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful region on the shores of Lake Michigan. It’s time to start planning your trip!
Source: Leif and Evonne, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons
- Fun Things To Do In Sanibel Island: Top Attractions In Sanibel Island And The Areas Around
- Top Things To Do In Nantucket Island: From Beautiful Beaches To Historic Landmarks
- Pompano Beach, Florida Attractions: Summer Destinations & Best Things to Do in Pompano Beach, FL
- Things to Do in Orange County: Plan Your Day Trip to OC Around the Best Attractions in The Area
- Fun Things To Do In Tybee Island, GA: Best Tourist Attractions
- Things to Do in Rhode Island: 11 RI Tourist Attractions and Activities Everyone Will Love
- Top Things to Do in Montauk. Top Attractions & Places to Go in This Vibrant Long Island City
- The Best Things to Do in South Haven, MI. Beach Vibe and Fun Times in South Haven, Michigan