Why Is Saint Croix Worth Visiting?
Your first question when deciding on a travel destination might be, “Why should I go there?” The answer to that question for Saint Croix is simple. This idyllic island paradise offers everything you need or want in a tropical vacation.
Saint Croix is the largest of the US Virgin Islands and has a rich history that dates back to the 1500s. Native Indians lived on this beautiful island before Christopher Columbus set foot here in 1493. In 1625, Dutch and English settlers colonized the island, and it was later taken over by Spanish and English rulers.
Saint Croix’s location, in the northeastern-most islands of the Caribbean Sea, makes it an ideal vacation spot. Because of its distance from other islands in the Caribbean, Saint Croix has avoided major hurricanes throughout history. This means that this beautiful island remains lush and intact for visitors to enjoy every year.
Things to Do in St Croix – Beaches and Entertainment
There are more than 20 beaches on St. Croix that have turquoise waters and white sand. Sandy Point Beach is a great choice if you want to have a beach all to yourself. The beach is located on the southwestern tip of St. Croix and features soft sand and warm water. It’s home to the Sandy Point National Wildlife Refuge where you might spot sea turtles. Other beaches worth visiting are:
- Rainbow Beach – a great place to swim, snorkel and catch some sun;
- West Beach – a secluded beach, great for snorkeling;
- Monks Bath Beach – a rocky beach with great views;
- Cane Bay Breach – a fantastic beach for snorkeling and scuba diving, but a little rocky;
- Cramer Park Beach – a relaxing sandy beach with coconut trees and picnic tables;
- Hay Penny Beach – a serene, secluded beach with crystal clear waters.
In addition to its beaches, St. Croix offers a wide variety of things to do. Visit the Cruzan Rum Distillery and take a tour to learn about how this world-famous rum is made. Or explore one of the many cultural attractions on the island, such as the St. George Village Botanical Garden or the Apothecary Museum.
As for nightlife, check out one of the many bars and clubs in Christiansted or Frederiksted. If you’re looking for a more laid-back evening, take a stroll through one of the towns and do some shopping or stop for dinner at a local restaurant.
Places to Go on Saint Croix for Active Travelers
If you’re looking for things to do in St. Croix that are a little more active, there are plenty of options for you as well. There are many hiking trails on the island that offer stunning views of the landscape. Or, you could go horseback riding, biking, or sailing. You can also take a day trip to Buck Island, and see the Buck Island Reef National Monument. Here are some good ideas:
- Annaly Bay / Carambola Tide Pools – a great place for hiking, snorkeling, and swimming;
- Caribbean Sea Adventures – a charter company that offers snorkeling, scuba diving, and fishing trips;
- Buccaneer Golf Course – an 18-hole golf course located in Frederiksted;
- Salt River Bay National Historical Park and Ecological Preserve – a great place for hiking and bird watching;
- Cruzan Cowgirls – a horseback riding company that offers beach rides;
- Gecko’s Island Adventures – a charter company that offers kayaking, stand-up paddleboarding, and snorkeling trips.
Historical Places to Visit on Saint Croix
Saint Croix is an island in the Caribbean Sea, and a county and constituent district of the United States Virgin Islands (USVI). Its history goes back to the time of Christopher Columbus, who is said to have discovered the island in 1493. So, what are some things to do in St Croix for history buffs?
Fort Frederik in Frederiksted
This fort was built by Denmark-Norway, beginning in 1752, to defend the economic interests of Frederiksted and to ward off pirates. Completely constructed in 1760, it’s a United States National Historic Landmark and now houses a museum and art gallery.
In this museum, you can experience what life was like on Saint Croix in the 19th century. It’s located in a Danish-West Indian building, and it’s named after Carl Lawaetz, a Danish farmer who came to Saint Crux to secure a future for himself.
Estate Little Princess
This plantation was built in 1749 and is one of the oldest in the Virgin Islands. It’s located on a hillside with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea. It has been turned into a nature preserve, and you can also go on a tour of the many historical buildings on site.
This is the easternmost point (by travel) of the United States, and it’s a beautiful spot to watch the sunrise. It was named for Stewart Udall, U.S. Secretary of the Interior under John F. Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson.
Columbus Landing Site
This is the spot where Christopher Columbus is said to have landed on Saint Croix in 1493. It’s located in a park with a monument, and it’s a popular spot for swimming, picnicking, and fishing.
Things to Do in St Croix – Christiansted
Christiansted is the largest town on St. Croix. It is a charming, historic town, and a popular destination for visitors to the island. Let’s take a look at its main attractions.
A lovely place to walk and relax while taking in views of the harbor or having a meal at one of several restaurants along the way. The boardwalk runs from Gallows Bay along the waterfront past the old Scale House south past Fort Christiansvaern to Protestant Cay ferry dock.
This fort was built between 1738 and 1749. It’s a Danish colonial fort that is now a U.S. National Historic Landmark, and it’s open to the public for tours. It’s one of the best-preserved colonial forts in the Caribbean.
A historic hotel that was built in 1740, and is said to be one of the oldest hotels in the Western Hemisphere. It’s located on the waterfront, and offers stunning views of Christiansted harbor.
Enjoy Your Trip to Saint Croix, USVI!
There are many things to do in St Croix, USVI. This island has something for everyone, whether you’re interested in history, nature, or just want to relax on the beach. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time on your trip to Saint Croix!
- Things to Do in St Thomas, US Virgin Islands: 10+ Tourist Attractions You Don’t Want to Miss
- Who Never Dreamt of Hawaii Tours? Top 10 Things to Do in Hawaii to Tick off Your Hawaii Bucket List. Oahu, Here I Come!
- Top Things to do in Pensacola, FL. Top Tourist Attractions and Beaches in Pensacola
- Île Saint-Louis in Paris. A Charming Island in the Middle of the City. Top Tourist Attractions on Ile Saint-Louis
- Things to Do in Siesta Key, FL. Perfect Beaches, Stunning Sunsets and Tourist Attractions
- Fun Things To Do In Sanibel Island: Top Attractions In Sanibel Island And The Areas Around
- Things to Do in San Juan, Puerto Rico – Top Attractions, Things to See and Places to Visit as a Family or Alone
- Top Things to Do in Montauk. Top Attractions & Places to Go in This Vibrant Long Island City