In this article, we’ll be sharing some top tourist attractions in the state. So whether you’re a first-time visitor or a returning traveler, read on to find interesting things to do in Delaware.
Delaware is a state located on the Atlantic Coast in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States. Although it is small in size, Delaware is rich in history and culture. From historical tours to outdoor activities, there are things to do in Delaware for everybody.
Things to Do in Delaware in Summer. Rehoboth Beach and More
If you’re looking for a fun place to spend the summer, this stare is a great choice. The state has plenty of things to do in Delaware, including some great beaches. Bethany Beach is a popular spot, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars to keep you entertained. If you’re looking for something a little more active, try kayaking or paddleboarding on the Rehoboth Bay – one of the most popular destinations. This beach town is known for its boardwalk, restaurants, and shops. There are also plenty of activities available, such as swimming and fishing.
Lewes is a town in Delaware located on the eastern coast of the United States. It’s known for its beaches, boardwalks, and lighthouse. Lewes is also home to many shops and restaurants, making it a popular tourist destination. If you’re looking for a fun, beachy getaway, this town is a great option!
Fenwick Island is another great place to relax and enjoy the sun and surf. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants to keep you busy. You can go to the beach and soak up the sun, visit the Fenwick Island Lighthouse, shop till you drop in local beachwear and souvenir shops, or grab a bite to eat in one of the plenty of great restaurants.
Delaware State Parks
There are plenty of things to do in Delaware, and one of the most popular attractions are the parks. There are over 20 parks in Delaware, each offering something unique for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re looking for a place to hike, swim, camp, or just relax, there’s a state park that’s perfect for you.
Some of the most popular parks in Delaware include:
- Killens Pond State Park – it is a great place for swimming, fishing, and picnicking. There’s also a nature center where you can learn about the local wildlife.
- Trap Pond State Park – it is the oldest man-made lake in Delaware, and it’s a great place for canoeing and kayaking.
- Lums Pond State Park – this park is perfect for fishing, boating, and hiking. There’s also a playground and an outdoor amphitheater.
- White Clay Creek Preserve – it is a great place to hike, bike, and horseback ride. There are also fishing and picnicking areas.
- Delaware Seashore State Park – his park is a beach lover’s paradise, with miles of sandy beaches perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and fishing.
- Cape Henlopen State Park – it offers visitors a variety of activities, including swimming, fishing, and hiking. The park also features a nature center, which offers programs on the local ecology.
- Brandywine Creek State Park – with over 2,000 acres of land to explore, this park is a great place to hike, bike, picnic, and more.
These are just a few of the many parks in Delaware that are worth exploring.
Museums in Delaware
Delaware is home to a variety of museums, each with its own unique focus. There is something for everyone to explore and enjoy. Here are the most popular options.
Delaware Art Museum
The Delaware Art Museum is a great place to visit if you’re looking for something to do in Delaware. They have a wide variety of art on display, from ancient Egyptian artifacts to modern paintings. They also offer educational programs for kids and adults, so you can learn more about the art on display.
If you love history, then a visit to the Hagley Museum is a must-do while in Delaware. This museum is dedicated to preserving the history of American industry and innovation. The museum grounds include a restored 19th-century village, as well as several historic buildings. Visitors can tour the exhibits, or take part in hands-on activities like blacksmithing and printing. There is also a café on-site, so you can enjoy a bite to eat while exploring the museum.
Du Pont Family Mansion
The DuPont Mansion is a historic mansion located in Wilmington, Delaware. Built in 1799, it was the home of E.I. du Pont, the founder of the DuPont company. The mansion is now a museum and is open to the public for tours. Visitors can explore the main level, which features a grand hall, a dining room, a library, and a music room. The second level features bedrooms and bathrooms, and the third level houses servants’ quarters.
Other Ideas to Spend Time in Delaware
There are plenty of other ways to spend your time in Delaware beyond those most popular ones. If you’re looking for some fun activities to add to your itinerary, consider one of these options.
- Visit the Fort Delaware. This fort was built in 1859 and served as a Union prison during the Civil War. Today, it is a park and a popular tourist destination. Visitors can tour the fort, learn about its history, and even go camping or fishing in the park.
- Go to Winterthur Museum, which offers visitors a glimpse into the lives of American aristocracy in the early 20th century.
- There are plenty of things to do in Wilmington, Delaware. You can explore the Nemours Mansion and Gardens, visit the Brandywine Zoo or take in a performance at the Grand Opera House.
- Explore Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, which offers a variety of activities for nature lovers. You can take a hike through the refuge, go bird watching, or even spend some time fishing. The refuge is also home to a variety of wildlife, so you’re sure to see something interesting during your visit.
- Another great spot is the town of New Castle, which offers visitors a chance to explore its many historic buildings and museums. There’s also plenty of shopping and dining opportunities, as well as parks and nature preserves to enjoy.
- The Old State House, located in Dover, is the oldest state capitol building in the United States. Constructed in 1787, it was the home of the Delaware General Assembly until 1933. Today, it is operated as a museum.
Like you see, this small state is full of exciting places. Which things to do in Delaware are on your bucket list?
- Things to Do in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware: Tourist Attractions and Outdoor Activities You Cannot Miss
- Things to Do in Ocean City Maryland. Major Fun Attractions and Things to do with Kids in OC, MD
- Fun Things To Do In Cape May, NJ: Places To Visit And Best Tourist Attractions
- Things to Do in Amelia Island. Best Beaches, State Parks, Tourist Destinations, and Fun Activities
- Things to Do in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores – Hit the Beach and Try All the Fun Activities in Alabama’s Gulf Coast
- Things to Do in North Myrtle Beach, SC – Have Fun in the Amusement Park and Explore Myrtle Beach Attractions
- Things to Do in Siesta Key, FL. Perfect Beaches, Stunning Sunsets and Tourist Attractions
- Top Things To Do In The Poconos. The Pocono Mountains Places Attractions, Places To Go & Things To Do With Kids