Outdoorsy Things to Do in Harrisonburg VA
If you love being outdoors, you definitely need to plan a trip to the Shenandoah National Park. It’s a beautiful park located just a short drive from Harrisonburg. With over 500 miles of trails, the park is perfect for hikers, bikers, and nature lovers of all ages. There’s also an abundance of wildlife, including deer, black bears, and eagles. So if you’re looking for a beautiful place to get away from it all, this is it!
Skiing & Spa at Massanutten Resort
This four-season resort is located just a short drive from Harrisonburg in the scenic Shenandoah Valley. Massanutten offers something for everyone, from skiing and snowboarding in the winter to golf and hiking in the summer. There’s also an indoor water park, a spa, and plenty of restaurants and shopping options. And if you’re looking for a place to stay, Massanutten Resort has everything from hotel rooms to condos and villas.
James Madison University
One of Virginia’s premier public universities, JMU is home to over 20,000 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries. The campus is beautiful, and there’s always something going on – from sports games to concerts and lectures. And if you’re a fan of the TV show The Bachelor, you might even recognize JMU as one of Ben Higgins’ final two rose destinations!
Enjoy the Nature at Carrier Arboretum
The Carrier Arboretum is a hidden gem located on the campus of James Madison University. This beautiful garden features over 200 varieties of trees and shrubs, as well as a variety of flowers and other plants. The arboretum is open year-round, and admission is free!
Explore the Vineyards
If you’re a wine lover and looking for things to do in Harrisonburg, VA, you are at the right spot! The Shenandoah Valley is wine country, which means there are plenty of vineyards in Harrisonburg VA to explore. Take a tour of one of the vineyards to sample their wines and learn how they make them.
White Oak Lavender Farm
It’s never a bad time to visit Oak Lavender Farm. The farm’s friendly team will help you pick your own lavender bouquet, or you can head over to their small shop and have a scoop of lavender ice cream. For the more courageous, try their wine infused with lavender petals from the farm itself.
Explore More Discovery Museum
The More Discovery Museum is a hands-on museum designed for kids ages 0-12. Located in downtown Harrisonburg, the museum features exhibits on science, art, and more. And if your kids are ready for a break, there’s also a play space with a climbing wall and slides.
Virginia Quilt Market
Harrisonburg is also home to the Virginia Quilt Market, one of the largest quilt shows in the country. So whether you’re a history buff, a nature lover, or just looking for some family-friendly fun, Harrisonburg is sure to please! The Virginia Quilt Market is one of the largest quilt shows in the country, and it takes place every October in Harrisonburg. If you’re a quilter (or even if you’re not!), this is an event not to be missed. With over 500 vendors selling everything from fabric to finished quilts, there’s something for everyone at the Virginia Quilt Market.
Shenandoah Heritage Market
If you are a foodie, and if you are fond of visiting farmer’s markets, then the Shenandoah Heritage Market is the place to be. This market is open during all seasons, and you can shop for fresh farm produce and artisan products. You’ll also find live music, kids’ activities and cooking demonstrations at the market throughout the season.
More Cool Things to Do in Harrisonburg, VA
To wrap it up, we’ve prepared some final tourist trips, especially for you! Take a look at these last thoughts and awesome things to do in Harrisonburg, VA:
- Go birdwatching at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTCRI. You will find plenty of avian species here that are unique to this region.
- Explore the world-class art museum known as The Forbes Center for Performing Arts.
- Check out the Rocktown Trails for hiking and biking opportunities, as well as to study nature up close and personal.
- Go to Ruby’s Arcade. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love playing arcade games? Ruby’s Arcade has games like pinball, skee-ball and air hockey, as well as a popcorn machine and coffee bar.
- Visit the Little Grill Collective, which is one of Harrisonburg’s most famous restaurants and has been around since the early nineties. It started as just a bathhouse, but now serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily with vegetarian options. The restaurant also is a community spot, so you might be lucky to get some free food!
Whether you’re looking for things to do in Harrisonburg, VA or elsewhere in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley, we hope you’ll add some of these top attractions to your list!
- Best Things to Do in Winchester, VA: Family Fun and Adventures, Things to Do Near Winchester, Top Activities
- Things to Do in Harpers Ferry, WV. Best Places to Go for a Fun Day Out & Top Tourist Attractions in Harpers Ferry
- Things to Do in Roanoke, VA – Museums, Parks, and Other Tourist Attractions
- Things to Do in Charlottesville VA: Your Complete & Quick Guide on the Best Attractions Around Charlottesville Virginia
- Things to Do in Napa: A Comprehensive Guide. Best Tips on Napa Valley’s Attractions, Wine Tours and More
- Things to Do in Alexandria, VA: The Old Town and Other Interesting Things to See When You Visit Alexandria
- Things to Do in Charleston, WV – Places to Visit and Things to See When You Visit the Capital of West Virginia
- The Best Things to Do in Las Cruces New Mexico: Major Tourist Attractions and Top Places to Go in Las Cruces NM