London is a city that is constantly alive with tourists and locals alike. There are endless attractions to see and explore, but some of the most popular ones can be found in the Shard. This towering skyscraper has something for everyone, from amazing views of the city to top-notch restaurants.
The Shard in London. History of the Building
The Shard (also called the Shard of Glass, or Shard London Bridge) is a 72-story skyscraper in London that houses offices, hotels, and residences. It is the tallest building in the UK and one of the tallest building in Europe. The Shard was built on the site of the former Southwark Towers, a 24-story office building that was demolished in 2008.
The Shard was designed by Italian architect Renzo Piano and engineered by Arup Group. It was completed in 2012 at a cost of £435 million. The building’s height of 1,016 feet (309.6 meters) makes it the tallest inhabited building in the UK. The Shard has 72 stories of habitable space, with another three stories containing mechanical equipment. The floors of the habitable space are divided into four “zones” – public, offices, hotel, and residential.
The view from the Shard is something that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. Situated high up on the 72nd floor of The Shard, visitors are treated to stunning panoramic views of the London skyline.
On a clear day, you can see for miles and miles in every direction, making it the perfect place to get a real sense of just how massive and vibrant London really is. Whether you’re admiring the cityscape from inside the comfortable viewing area or taking in the views from one of the outdoor terraces, it’s an unforgettable experience.
The view from the Shard is an experience you’ll never forget. You will have a chance to take a high speed lift to the top of the building, buy a cocktail, play the piano in the sky, enjoy the view from an open-air skydeck and viewing galleries, or buy a themed souvenir from a gift shop.
The Shangri-La Hotel is a luxury hotel in London, England. The hotel is situated in the Shard. Since opening, it has been hailed as one of the most luxurious and technologically advanced hotels in the world.
The Shangri-La Hotel offers guests a truly unique experience. The hotel’s rooms and suites are complete with state-of-the-art technology, including in-room tablets that offer a range of services and information about the hotel and its facilities. The rooms also feature floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning views of London.
The hotel also offers a range of world-class facilities and services, including a spa, fitness center, business center and meeting rooms, not to mention a number of great restaurants.
Restaurants in the Shard Building
If you’re looking for incredible views with your meal, then look no further than the restaurants in the Shard building. Sitting high above London, these eateries offer unrivalled views of the cityscape below. From Michelin-starred cuisine to more casual dining options, there’s something to suit every taste and budget. So why not treat yourself to a meal with a view next time you’re in London? Here are some of the restaurants you will find there:
- Aqua Shard: located on level 31 of the Shard, Aqua Shard offers breathtaking views of London. The menu features seasonal British produce and there is also an extensive wine list.
- Hutong: if you’re looking for an authentic taste of Northern China, then Hutong is the place for you. The place is located on level 33 of the Shard and offers stunning views of the city.
- Oblix: Oblix is a modern European restaurant located on level 32 of the Shard. The menu features seasonal produce and there is an extensive wine list available.
Would you like to visit the Shard? Leave a comment!
- London Eye: Everything You Need to Know. History, Interesting Facts, Prices & More
- A Simple & Friendly Guide to London Overground Station
- London Tower Bridge. Find Out Everything About the Most Famous Bridge in London
- London Heathrow Airport (LHR): Passenger Guide. Everything You Need to Know About the Biggest London Airport
- Central London, Main Tourist Attractions You Have to See
- Guide to the Tate Modern London – Switch House, Artwork Exhibitions, and More
- London Airports: All You Should Know About Airports in London
- Things to Do at Waterloo Station (London Waterloo)