Tourist Attractions Nearby
Just a stone’s throw from Victoria Rail Station, Buckingham Palace is one of London’s most iconic tourist attractions. The palace has been the home of the British royal family since 1837, and it is open to the public for much of the year. Visitors can tour the state rooms, gardens, and masterpieces of art on display, and they can also witness the world-famous Changing of the Guard ceremony.
Another popular tourist attraction near Victoria Station is Westminster Abbey. This Gothic cathedral has been a site of pilgrimage and worship for over 1,000 years, and it is where many of Britain’s kings and queens have been crowned. Today, Westminster Abbey welcomes over two million visitors each year, who come to admire its beautiful architecture and learn about its rich history.
History of Victoria Station
Named after the nearby Victoria Street (and not the Queen), the Victoria train station was built to serve both the Brighton and Chatham Main Lines, and has always had a “split” feel of being two separate stations. The Brighton station opened in 1860 with the Chatham station following two years later. It replaced a temporary terminus at Pimlico, and construction involved building the Grosvenor Bridge over the River Thames. Because of its location and size, it became immediately popular as a London terminus, delaying traffic and necessitating upgrades and repairs.
Shopping for Gifts
Just a short walk from Victoria Station, you’ll find some of the best shopping in London. From high-end department stores to smaller independent shops, there’s something for everyone. The area around Victoria is particularly known for its luxury brands, so it’s the perfect place to pick up a designer purse or a new outfit for a special occasion. However, you’ll also find plenty of affordable options, and the area is home to many popular chain stores. Whether you’re looking for new clothes, cosmetics, or just some souvenirs, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for near Victoria Station.
- Central London, Main Tourist Attractions You Have to See
- London’s Railway Stations: All the Information You Need on King’s Cross Station
- London Paddington Station: A Railway Station in Central London
- Big Ben – the Most Famous Clock in the World. History of Big Ben, Tips for Visitors, Interesting Facts
- Top Things to Do in London: Your London Bucket List
- Abbey Road London Zebra Crossing: A Guide to London’s Most Famous Tourist Spot
- The Thames River Cruise: The Best Way to See London
- Frigate HMS Belfast: Museum Ship HMS